Log in

This is awkward. - Trans people and friends, trans-related news, events and activism in Toronto [entries|archive|friends|userinfo]
Trans Toronto

[ userinfo | livejournal userinfo ]
[ archive | journal archive ]

This is awkward. [Mar. 26th, 2011|10:05 pm]
Trans Toronto


I need to find a doctor that "fixes" trans people.

You see, my parents have been giving me a lot of flak for being trans for uh, 4 years. It's been stressing us all out. My latest idea was for us to all go to a therapist to try and talk more functionally about the whole thing. We went once and my mom decided it's not what I need. She said she wants me to find a doctor to help me "feel more comfortable as a girl". I couldn't believe it-- I've literally made zero progress with them in four years. I'm really way past that option, but I didn't want to hurt her so I said okay. I'm out of ideas anyway. Maybe if I can convince a shrink that's on her side that I'm better off being trans, it will convince my mom.

Can anyone recommend one of those doctors, besides Zucker? (We've already been to him, and my parents hated him.)

From: adamc114
2011-03-27 07:07 pm (UTC)
Hi. I know you've tried going to a therapist and didn't work. I saw in another community regarding a similar post that you're first generation American-born Chinese. I presume your parents speak Chinese? Assuming you're in Toronto, I have heard that the Chinese Family Services of Ontario has counselling services targetting GLBT issues, and they work for some people. If your parents speak Cantonese/Mandarin mostly, they will probably find it easier to communicate with the counsellors there.

(Reply) (Thread)